Bacon-Gruyère Quiche & Riesling
What makes a quiche so universally loved is that it’s so versatile!
It’s fluffy, eggy deliciousness can be a vessel for everything from mixed veggies to savory meats, and it’s great for almost every meal! For our latest recipe, Sweet Wine Club has found the perfect quiche pairing to enjoy with a delightful Maddalena Riesling: Bacon & Gruyère Cheese.
The wine’s sweet, citrus flavors contrast perfectly with the salty pork and nuttiness of the cheese. Perfect for a late fall brunch with family, and guaranteed to impress in the taste department no matter how picky the eater.
(1) – Bottle of Maddalena Riesling 2015
(1) – Bakeable pie crusts (8 in)
(2) – Leeks, thinly sliced midsections (no tops or bottoms)
(1/2 lb) – Bacon, (About 5-6 strips)
(6 oz) – Gruyère cheese, shredded
(1 tsp) – Dried thyme leaves, chopped
(1/2 tsp) – Dried oregano
(4) – Eggs
(1 1/4 cups) – Heavy Cream
Salt & Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1) If made fresh, make sure your pie crust is ice cold by chilling it in the freezer.
2) Preheat oven to 375′ degrees
3) In a large pan, fry bacon until golden brown and crispy over high heat
4) Drain bacon and place it on a plate, pad for grease, leave a couple tablespoons of grease in the pan
5) At medium heat, sauté the oregano, thyme, and leeks until the leeks are tender but not browning. Season with salt & pepper.
6) Transfer leeks to a bowl to let them cool
7) Once leeks have cooled, add bacon and shredded cheese, then mix
8) In separate bowl, whisk the eggs and heavy cream together. Season with salt & pepper.
9) Add both mixtures together into the pie crust
10) Bake for 30 minutes, or until puffed up and slightly brown, then turn oven off
11) Let oven cool for 15 minutes , then remove quiche and let it sit for 5 minutes
12) Serve with a glass of Maddalena Riesling to highlight the savory, earthy flavors of the bacon and cheese.