Bon Bon Chicken & Muscat Canelli (Spicy)
There’s something about the idea of fall that just makes us all feel chilly. Even talking about it makes the air feel a little nippier, right? Well, if you’re looking for a dish to warm you up and delight your palate – we’ve got you covered. Sweet Wine Club’s latest recipe pairs the crisp, fruity flavors of Maddalena Muscat Canelli with a spicy Bon Bon Chicken that’s guaranteed to please.
The tender, aromatic flavor of the poached chicken and cucumber provide the perfect crunch. But where this recipe really shines is in its savory sauce. The combination of vinegar and peppercorns gives this dish a perfect, warming spice that doesn’t burn. Paired with the subtle sweetness of a Maddalena Muscat, you’ll never want to eat anything else!
~Bon Bon Chicken & Muscat Canelli~
*Having trouble locating these ingredients? Check out local Chinese markets near you, or order off of Amazon. It’s truly worth it!
(1) – Bottle of Maddalena Muscat Canelli 2014
(1 ½ lbs) – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
(¼ cup) – Shaoxing
(2) – Green onions, chopped
(1 in) – Fresh ginger, chopped
(2 ½ tsp) – Whole black, white, or Sichuan peppercorns*
(1 lb) – Peeled cucumbers
(3 tbs) – Soy sauce
(1 tbs) – Chinkiang black vinegar*
(2 tbs) – Fresh cilantro, chopped
(1 tbs) – Sesame oil
(2 tsp) – Chili oil
(1) – Minced garlic clove
(2 tsp) – Sugar
(1) – Kitchen Blender
1) Place the chicken in a large pot, adding in wine green onions, 1/2 of the ginger, 1 teaspoon of peppercorns, and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Turn heat to high and bring to a quick boil.
2) Once boiling, immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 1/2 minutes. Cover pot, turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes.
3) Remove chicken from the pot and let cool for a few minutes. Then dice the chicken.
4) Quarter cucumbers and scoop out seeds. Then cut these into 1/4-inch thick sticks.
5) Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and chili oil in a blender.
6) Then add the rest of the peppercorn, ginger, garlic, sugar, and cilantro into the blender. Process until smooth.
7) Add cucumber pieces into a bowl, then top with the diced chicken. Pour on the sauce and garnish with additional cilantro if wanted.
8) Serve with a glass of Maddalena Muscat Canelli to bring out the spiciness of the peppercorns and the sweetness of the natural vinegar.