Egg rolls have a long-standing history in Asian culture, symbolizing a new beginning and as it’s the
Lunar New Year and we are celebrating with delicious egg rolls and a nice glass of Maddalena Riesling!
¼ cup canola oil (divided in half)
8 cups Napa cabbage, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots thinly sliced (or 1 small bag of carrot shavings)
1 cup on thinly diced mushrooms (optional)
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
24 8” square egg roll wrappers
*Canola oil for frying
- Add half the canola oil to a large heavy skillet on medium high heat. Cook Napa cabbage for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until almost all the liquid has cooked off.
- Add in the garlic, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add mirin, soy sauce, and sesame oil, then continue stirring for 1 more minute. Once done, let cool completely.
- Mix cornstarch with two tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Layout the egg roll wrapper, brush cornstarch slurry around the edges to moisten and add about 2 tbsp of filling in a long rectangle shape diagonally across the square. Wrap and roll tightly (image below).
- Heat 3 inches of canola oil in a deep-frying pan or wok to 325 degrees. Fry egg rolls until golden brown.
Cheers to the Sweet Life!
Interested in learning more about our delicious wines, cocktail and pairing recipes?
Check out our exclusive sweet wine selection and treat yourself!